Sunday, October 18, 2009

My Diwali with Peda/Pala Kova

My experience of Diwali as a kid born and brought up in India, is a very special one.Words fail to describe Diwali, and especially the Diwali night.It is hard to describe the feeling of warmth, joy and excitement, every thing combined into one.I'm so Happy and exited at this particular moment to write about my celebrations and treasures of memories of Diwali. As always, even this year also Diwali has its magic spell on my heart......like all others do!!! The warmth and joy of Diwali has recharged me. As we are staying overseas we all do miss some big, small and tiny details in our lives, few among such tiny details, that bring happiness are coloring rongolies, warmth of lit candles and diyas, cracking the crackers and ..........I remember the days Back at home, we lit candles and diyas and sat down to enjoy the enveloping glow...........and watching the
kids firing the crackers and the fireworks that were peeping into our balcony....Enjoying Mom's cooking and having loads of sweets pasted ourselves to TV programs.............But, I also celebrate Diwali With the same Happiness and enthu in America too....as the matter of fact all the Indians living around the world celebrate this festival with same excitement and all the same warmth of candles is felt every where, bringing back the childhood memories and sharing them to kids......coming to my this year's Diwali celebrations, as I mention above it has its magic spell on me......that too this year it's on Saturday, Hurray...... we do have holiday for Diwali, this made me feel special and my happiness knew no boundaries.....On Friday I made some Peda, fav. of my daughter( as a matter of fact she enjoys every thing that is sweet), and some savories. Cleaned the house and puja room and made a small rangoli using rice flour, haldi and kumkum....On Saturday got up early in the morning....first thing that I did!!!!!!(calling India.........spoke
to Parents and In-laws)...just floating in the memories for a while, Then got in to my World....it's Kitchen, and completed cooking, puja and went to temple and offered prasadam, enjoyed the festive food, and In the evening went to my friends(Krithi) house had some fun time and tasted her yummy badusha and muruku, returned home as it's getting dark and time for lighting the
diyas.....Decorated house with some electrical lights and few diyas......few of our friends dropped by to wish us, served hem sweets and enjoyed the rest of the evening having sweets and chatting to friends....the day flew away....had the same excitement and happiness that I had from years......This Diwali is also treasured in my memories.

Peda

Ingredients: 2cups dry milk powder, 1butter stick, 1can, 14oz.condensed milk, 3tsp.roasted cashews.


Method: In a microwave safe bowl melt the butter, add milk powder, condensed milk, mix them well and microwave them for 1min., mix well and microwave for another 2min., let it cool at bit( don't let it cool completely, it's difficult to handle it if it's cold), make the desired shaped and garnish with roasted cashews and pistachio. I have added yellow and pink food color to peda to make them look colorful.
I'm sending this to Priya's "Diwali Event 2009" , Purva's "Diwali Dhamaka" and sireesha's "Sweet Series Event"

11 yummies:

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Nice pedas. I think the process is not difficult.Want to give a try. Will it be possible to mention what energy level do you set in the micro. I am bit worried, if I set a higher energy level than yours and run for same minutes as you have mentioned, a burn out is possible as there is very low moisture.
Else I will use my guts and run at 450 to 600 watt.
As usual I enjoyed reading the Diwali description than the recipe.
Best wishes

Sushma Mallya said...

Thats very colourful and looks yum prasu...and i liked the recipe too as its simple too...will surely try and hope u had a wonderful diwali

Nandinis food said...

colorful pedas! Oops , I got confused and wrote in stuffed peda.
Nice click!

Unknown said...

Looks gorgeous & colourful!!i remem my first attempt at peda..it was a disaster, ur look dam perfect dear!!

Tina said...

Wow colourful pedas. Nice click too.

Padma said...

Nice colorful pedas...

Namitha said...

colorful and yum...I too miss, India a lot when it comes to festivals like Diwali....

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

lovely color of pedas...

Unknown said...

Lovely Pedas, quick and easy one.

Raje said...

Pedas look so colorful and inviting Prasu!

Priya Ajay said...

Hey,

your pedas r very colorful....I tried them out when we had some frnds coming over to our place.....It turned out great.....bt was a lil sticky....urs looks dried up....but it was very delicious......

Priya
priyasculinary.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails