I love to have non-vegetarian food almost every day, but we confined your self to eat only once in a week(it's mostly on Sunday)....On Sunday I made a visit to Asian Stores near my place and bought some fresh Anchovies(Methadalu) and cooked this delicious curry........So, I wanted to share the recipe with you all...........
- 1/2lb. Anchovies(cleaned), 1/2 Onion (roughly chopped), 1 Tomato(diced), A Small Berry Sized Tamarind (soak in 1/4 cup of water for 15min., and squeeze in to make tamarind juice), 1/4tsp. Turmeric, 11/2tsp. Red Chilli Powder, Salt to taste.
- 1/4tsp.Mustard seeds, 1/4tsp.Methi seeds, 1/2tsp.Coriander seeds, dry roast them on medium flame until they turn light golden brown in color, now add 2 cloves of garlic and grind them to a fine powder.
- 3-4tsp.Oil, 1/2tsp.Mustard seeds, 2 Spring Curry Leaves.
- In a wide pan add oil, once it's hot add all the seasoning ingredients, once they start to splutter add onions and fry until they are translucent, then add tomato and fry for a min., then add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric and tamarind water and cook until the curry comes to a boil, then add the fish pieces, cover with the lid and cook until the fish is 3/4 cooked(it takes appro.5-7min.), now remove the lid and cook until the curry comes to a thick gravy consistency, then add ground masala powder and give it a gentle stir and close it with the lid and turn the heat off.
- This tastes heavenly if we add home made butter at the end, after turning the heat off.....Serve this curry with Steamed rice.