Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Mullangi Pachadi/ Radish Chutney


I never tried making this chutney, but had it often in my grandmothers house. Last time when my Mom visited me(talking all the mother and daughter talk in the world)we were remembering my Grandma's House, days spent over there and the lunch and dinner time...............later landed on the food we used to relish, especially i used to like the chutney that they make for idli and rice too................really yummy, but not sure, what it is? til the time my Mom made it for me.................."It's made of Radish!!!! Oh my I never knew it".  Yep! my friends if you are bored with your routine chutneys, come on, why are you waiting. Try this and enjoy your breakfast and meal too.......the special flavour of Radish enhances the taste and boost the flavour of the chutney!!!!!  BUT.......Try this only..... if you are the lover of this vegetable.




INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 radish (peeled, cut into circles)                  
  • 1 onion (roughly chopped)
  • 8 dried red chillies (adjust as per spice levels)       
  • 3 tsp coriander seeds
  • 1 tsp mustard seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
  • 1 tbsp tamarind pulp
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • salt to taste
  • 2tsp.oil
  • 1/4 tsp mustard seeds(for seasoning)
  • 1/2 tsp urad dal (for seasoning)
  • 2 spring of curry leaves (for seasoning)


  • METHOD:

  • Heat oil in a pan.
  • Add red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek , fry them for few minutes, til the aroma occupies your kitchen, remove them form the flame, keep them aside.
  • Now add peeled and chopped radish pieces and saute for 5-10 mins.
  • Remove from heat, allow them to cool for sometime.
  • Add all the fried ingredients except radish  in a mixer jar.
  • Make a fine powder, then add radish, tamarind pulp, onion and salt.
  • Once again grind it to a coarse paste or  desired consistency. 
  • Now heat oil in a pan, add all the seasoning ingredients, fry til they are golden brown in color,      add  the ground chuntney to seasoning and allow to cook on low flame for about 5min. remove it from heat.
  • Mullangi pachadi is ready to serve.
  • Serve with plain white rice, dosa, idly, etc...

  • prep time: 10 mins

    7 yummies:

    Prathima Rao said...

    Nice, spicy, delish..all waht i like in a chutney!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    Prema said...

    Finger licking chutney...luks Delicious.

    Saraswathy Balakrishnan said...

    would be great with idiles dear:))

    Chitra said...

    Mine is a diff version. urs sounds good. will try.

    Princy Vinoth said...

    this is so different and nice.I must try it out.I have an award waiting for u at my space pls collect it.

    SpicyFoood

    Ushnish Ghosh said...

    Dear Prasu
    how are you ? Where are you ? Today I was making pessaratu from your recipe and remembering you ..
    how do i contact you ? are you on FB ?

    prasu said...

    Hi Ushnish ji, how r u doing....really after a long time.I'm happy that u remembered me.........I'm not on FB! you can write to me on this page.....will check it regularly!!!!!! bye....have a great time....btw in which country r u in?.....how is someone doing?

    Related Posts with Thumbnails