Look what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to my surprise My whole family fell in love with it...................it's just amazing, pls. don't think like me and leave this recipe.....give it a try and I'm sure it will be a frequent visitor in your menu.
- Take one cup toor dal/kandhi pappu, add two cups water and cook in the pressure cooker. Cook the dal til it's very soft. Mash the dal smooth with a ladle or muddhakum/wooden masher.
- Peel, cut the beets to thin and lengthy pieces. 1onion(sliced), 1tomato(diced).
- Soak berry size tamarind in the water and squeeze the extract and keep it aside.
- In a pot add cut beets, onion, tomato, salt, red chilli powder, 1/4tsp.turmeric powder and 1cup of water and cook till the beets are 3/4 done, then add 1tsp. sambapowder and tamarind extract and allow it to boil, reduce the flame to medium and boil it for another 5min., or til the beets are totally cooked.
- Now take a pan, add 2tsp. oil, once its hot add 1/4tsp. fenugreek seeds, 1/2tsp. of cumin and mustard each. once the seeds start to pop, reduce the flame to medium, add curry leaves toss them and remove them for heat, add this seasoning to the boiling sambar and boil it for a min., and remove it from flame.
- Garnish with few sprigs of finely chopped coriander leaves if you wish and serve with steamed rice. Add ghee while serving, it enhances it's taste.