Thursday, December 3, 2009

Nimma Rasam/ Nimmakaya Charu/Lime Rasam

This is an variation to General Rasam.......here we use lime/lemon instead of tamarind. The fresh, tangy taste of lime make this rasam special........



Ingredients:

  • Lemon/lime juice(squeezed from 1/2 lemon/lime)
  • 1/2cup cooked toordal
  • 1/4tsp.turmeric powder
  • 1/2tsp.mustard seeds
  • 2 whole red chillies
  • 1 spring curry leaves
  • 2green chillies(slitted)
  • 1/2tsp.oil
  • 1 tomato(diced)
  • Little Asafoetida
  • salt to taste
  • 2tsp.Coriander Leaves (for garnishing)


Rasam Powder:

  • 1/4tsp.cumin Seeds
  • 1/2tsp.coriander seeds
  • 1/2tsp.black pepper

Dry roast these ingredients and grind them to coarse powder.

Method:
In a deep pot add oil, once hot, add dry red chili and mustard seeds, when mustard seeds start to splutter, add asafoetida and curry leaves, fry for until the curry leaves turn dark green in color, add 4 cups of water, salt, turmeric, tomato and green chillies and boil for 10 min., or until tomatoes are soft, then add cooked dal, ground powder and boil until they come to rolling boil, now remove from heat and add lemon/lime juice and garnish with coriander leaves. Serve it with steamed rice.

32 yummies:

chef and her kitchen said...

Nice rasam..Even I posted recently..however my version is slightly different from urs...even this looks delicious..

SE said...

love the variation to the one i have posted..i sometimes make it this way with red lentils..looks very yummy

priya said...

love this rasam....looks so delicious!!

Unknown said...

One of my favorite rasam.....

sangeeta said...

loads of lemons i am getting from my garden n this recipe uses only juice from half a lemon....i'll not add the tomato n increase the LJ...
refreshing recipe...

Cham said...

Would be such a comfort food!

Priya Suresh said...

I love lime rasam, one of my favourite!

Namitha said...

delicious..one of my fav :-)

Nithya Praveen said...

A perfect comfort food...wonderful one:)

Unknown said...

Rasam is comfor food to me..lemon rasam looks delicious..Perfect for this weather.

karuna said...

that is making my mouth water. I have always loved rasam, but never made it at home myslef. i guess I jsut follow ure recipe and make it.
yumyy!!!

Sarah Naveen said...

thats a lovely yummy rasam...

Sunitha said...

looks very tasty and can feel the lemon zest in my mouth :)

Nandinis food said...

Very tasty and comfort rasam! My fav rasam!

Tina said...

Yummy and healthy rasam. Nice pic too.

Uma said...

such a refreshing rasam..looks lovely..

Sushma Mallya said...

Nice to have this hot rasam in this weather...looks delicious...

Sreelekha Sumesh said...

Perfect for the winter..lovely pic!

Ms.Chitchat said...

Yummy lemon rasam recipe. I too make it the same way. Pic looks very nice.

Chitchat

Anupama said...

I make this rasam slightly differently, but yours looks real good... I don't seem to get bored of this rasam actually :-)

kitchen queen said...

Aha! lovely refreshing and appetising lime rasam.

Padhu Sankar said...

Nice comforting food!

Padma said...

Very tempting rasam... looks delicious

my kitchen said...

My mom will do in similar way, comfort & tasty one

Shri said...

Slurp!No rice needed!

Vikis Kitchen said...

Always love all kinds of rasams. Yours look so delicious dear.

Priya dharshini said...

Wht a collection of rasam..cheers to u

Dhanya Ganesh said...

One of my fav rasam's.

Malar Gandhi said...

Wonderful picture, very comforting rasam...

Anonymous said...

I love rasam! This looks really good!

Haddock said...

when U R down with a cold, Rasam is the best thing to have.

Sanjana said...

Love the sound and look of this! I would love to have a go at making it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails