In this month's Indian Cooking Challengewe were asked to prepare Moong Dal Halwa.......
- Split (Yellow) Moong dhal - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 3/4 cups to 1 cup (as per required sweetness)
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Cashews/ raisins roasted in ghee for garnish.
Method to Prepare:
- Soak 1 cup moong dal overnight. Next morning, grind to a paste.
- Heat a heavy Kadai, take initially only 1/2 of the ghee and heat it.
- Add the dhal and stir continuously, not allowing lumps to form. This part is very tricky as the dhal cooks really fast, irrespective of the ghee.
- Keep the heat at the lowest and keep stirring even after the dhal becomes thick.
- Add the rest of the ghee intermittently and cook the dhal until aromatic and the ghee starts oozing out.
- Meanwhile mix the sugar with water/ milk in a pan and bring to a boil. Add this slowly to the cooking dhal.
- Keep the fir low at all times and break lumps if formed while adding the sugar and water/ milk mix.
- Cook until the ghee surfaces.
- Garnish with cashews and raisins.