Many of us know that Andhra Stuffed Brinjal curry(gutti vankaya kura) is very delicious, to this equivalent is this stuffed tindora curry, this is also one of the delicacies of Andhra which can not be found in any restaurants...........This tangy and sweet curry makes every one's favorite.
- 1/2lb.dondakayalu/tindora ( make a + slit length wise for stuffing)
- 1 medium onion(roughly chopped)
- 2tsp.red chilli powder
- 1/4tsp.turmeric powder.
- 1tsp. grated jaggery (must add, can be adjusted)
- tamarind (goose berry sized, soak in 1/4 water, squeeze the extract)
- salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp. oil
- coriander leaves for garnishing
Fry 1tsp.cumin seeds, 1Tbsp. urad dal in 1/2tsp. oil. Now grind these fried ingredients with onion, red chilli powder, turmeric and salt to a fine paste and keep it aside.
- 1/2 tsp mustard & jeera each
- 1spring curry leaves
- 2crushed garlic cloves
- First Stuff the dondakayalu with the ground paste and keep aside. Heat oil in a pan, once hot, add mustard and jeera , once they start to splutter, add garlic and fry till the garlic is light brown, now add the curry leaves and fry til they are dark green in color, now add the stuffed dondakayalu/tindora and fry on medium heat for 5min. then add the remaining paste and fry for 2min. on medium high heat. Now reduce the heat to medium, cover with lid and saute for few mins.(apx.5-7min.), then turn the dondakayalu/tindora to other side, (this makes even cooking) and saute for another 5mins.on medium heat covered with lid, then add tamarind extract along with 1cup of water, let the curry cook on medium heat, covered with lid till the dondakayalu/tinora are soft, then add jaggery, mix well and cook til the curry reaches light thick in the consistency(like in the picture above). Garnish with coriander leaves and serve it with steamed rice.