Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Tomato,Spring Onion Curry

This is my fav. curry with simple flavors. I have learnt this from my mom...she used to make this curry with spring onions that are grown in our backyard....she even uses spring onions in gongura pachadi also.......


Ingredients:

  • 2Onions(finely chopped), 4Medium Tomatoes(diced), 4Green chillies(finely chopped), 1cup Spring Onions(roughly chopped, green and white), 2cloves Garlic(crushed), 2springs Curry leaves, 1/4tsp.Turmeric powder, 2tsp.Oil,1/2tsp.jeera, 1/2tsp.mustard, 1/2tsp.Cumin powder, 1/2 tsp.Coriander powder, 1/2tsp.Garam masala, Salt to taste, 2tsp.Red chilli powder, 1tsp.Tamarind extract or paste.

Preparation:

  • Chop onions, tomatoes, green chillies and spring onions and keep aside. Heat oil in a pan, once it hot add mustard and jeera, once they start to splutter add onions, green chillies and curry leaves and fry till the onions are translucent, then add the tomatoes, chopped spring onions, salt, turmeric powder, tamarind extract, mix well, cover and cook till the tomatoes are soft(need not add any water, as tomatoes gives required water for the gravy), if the curry is too thick add 1/4cup of water, the consistency of the curry should be little saucy, now add cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, crushed garlic, mix well and cook for 2min. Serve it with rice or roti.

17 yummies:

Anupama said...

Great dish... I've never used spring onions in anything other than chinese dishes..

Sunitha said...

Nice variation of adding the sping onions and tamarind juice. Thanks for sharing.

Padma said...

Picture looks so tempting... can imagine the taste as well... really too good :)

Unknown said...

I add spring onion to different things, but never made a curry by itself. Looks so delicious.

Namitha said...

Good recipe Prasu..:-)3

Unknown said...

Looks geogeous and unique curry..Great recipe with spring onion..I do have some in my fridge will give a try and let u know dear.

Nandinis food said...

Tasty curry ! Looks great.

Oraphan said...

That curry looks and sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing:)

Rohini said...

Looks so delightful! Never made a curry with spring onions, I always waste half of them , not knowing what to do.. Now I can try this one! Thanks for sharing it dear!

Sushma Mallya said...

nice recipe..sure must be delicious with spring onions

sangeeta said...

i love spring onions and grow them in my garden too.
i make various curries with it but never tried curry patta with it...it looks delicious.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Prasu
How are you? I had been to Calcutta and cd not read any of your postings.
I am starting with this one and will go backward..:-)
This one is great..and the photo too. You keep cooking and I keep imagining that I am eating them , until I cook.
have a nice weekend

Cham said...

Adding spring onion is a great idea!

Sanghi said...

Wow..delicious chutney prasu..! You can send this to Ammu's 'Spicy fierry chutneys event' running @ http://ammajirecipes.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-first-event-spicy-fiery-chutneys.html

Sandhya Hariharan said...

Ooh curry with spring onions... never really tried using them other than any chinese or indo chinese dish...

my kitchen said...

Yum yum curry,looks so good

WVandering Thought said...

I am trying it now..I will update once done. Wish me luck. :)_

Related Posts with Thumbnails