Coconut Pachadi............here I am not talking about the regular coconut chutney that is served with idli and dosa. What I’m talking about is the coconut pachadi that is prepared only to be eaten with rice. The magic taste of this pachadi/chutney is all bout its texture, which should be coarsely ground but not to a smooth paste. Of course, not to mention the seasoning with curry leaves make it more flavourful.
- 1 1/4 cup of fresh coconut(pieces)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp. urad dal
- 1 Tbsp. chana dal
- 1tsp.coriander seeds
- 7-8 dry red chillis
- gooseberry sized tamarind(soaked in water for about 15min.)
- salt to taste
- 1/2tsp. mustard seeds
- 1tsp. split urad dal
- 2springs curry leaves
- 1/2tsp. oil
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin, fry for for few seconds,then add whole red chillies, urad dal, chana dal, coriander seeds, peanuts and fry them until they get nice golden brown color, at last add the coconut pieces, fry for a minute, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Once cool, grind the toasted ingredients, tamarind, salt to a slightly coarse paste by adding very little water, it shouldn't be made to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a small pan, once hot, add mustard seeds, once they splutter add black gram and let it get light golden brown color, then add curry leaves and fry them for a few seconds, til the curry leaves turn dark green in color. Then add the seasoning to the ground kobbari/coconut, mix well. For additional flavor add big pieces of onion(totally optional), mix well and serve it with steamy white rice and ghee.