A sweet treat from my childhood days..................................Usually prepared for Sankranti, I remember the days relishing these scrumptious laddus with my cousins, all those good old days are gone, now we occasionally speak and rarely meet(thanks to hectic schedules), but while writing this recipe I remember all those sweet memories......... I wanted to give my daughter some memories of her own, so I prepared these goodies when her cousins visited us for vacation............... all the kids(even me) enjoyed these crunchy treats.
4cups Borugulu/puffed rice
- In a thick bottomed pan add water and jaggery. Cook on medium heat for about 10min., jaggery starts to melt and then becomes syrup.
- Take a small plate with cold water and drop few drops of jaggery syrup, the syrup should not melt in the water, should be able to form a ball when rolled, if you did not get the desired consistency, heat the syrup for little more time.
- once you get the desired consistency, add cardamom powder, borugulu/puffed rice and keep stirring constantly. Within a minute or so the puffed rice starts to soak the syrup and forms a whole mass.
- Turn off the heat and allow the puffed rice mixture to cool for about 5min., and then start making laddus.
- Take a ladle full of mixture into hands and press gently into round shape.
- These crispy and yummy laddus can be stored for about a month in an airtight container.