This is little variation to normal Masala Vada, a healthy version, just by incorporating greens in it. I usually use Thotakura/Amaranath leaves, these leaves make Vadas more crispy and tasty.
- Soak channadal for 2hrs.
- Grind dal, all the ingredients(except chopped Amaranath leaves, coriander leaves and onions) to a coarse paste by adding very little water( 2-3tbsp), if needed.
- Now add the ground paste to chopped greens and onions and mix well.
- Adjust the salt if needed.
- Make lemon sized balls with the above mixture and slightly flatten them with palms to make vadas.
- Meanwhile heat oil in the pan, once it's hot enough make vadas and drop them in the oil, and fry them till crisp/ til you get light golden brown color.
- Do not fry them on very high flame, the upper layer gets colored quickly and the inside part remains uncooked. Heat oil, once it's hot enough, reduce the flame and fry vadas.