Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Dosakaya Vadiyalu/Yellow Cucumber Fryums

In India it's not only summer season but also season for pickles and vadiyalu/fryums. I had never tried my hand in pickles or vadiyalu as I usually get them from my mom, but this year a friend of my shared this lovely, simple and tasty recipe of her Mom to me, these vadiyalu can be made on moderate temperature days also, i mean not only in hot summers. For the people living in abroad can make them on their window sills also, isn't it sounding interesting to folks out there.......................come on try your hand on these in this summer, believe me they will never go wrong and you feel like a pro after seeing the outcome..................Thank you my friend for sharing this recipe with me!!!!!!

Things Required:


  • 1kg.Yellow cucumber(nearly 2lbs.)

  • 1/2kg.Thick Poha/Dampudu Atukulu

  • 2-3tsp.Red Chili Powder

  • 1/4tsp.jeera

  • Salt to taste

  • 3tsp.Nuvvulu/Sesame Seeds(optional)

  • 4-5spring of Curry Leaves(roughly chopped)

Method:



  • Peel the cucumbers, remove the seeds, grate them and keep aside.

  • wash poha/atukulu, squeeze out excess water and keep them aside.(do this step just after grating the cucumbers, if you do this step first the poha becomes too soft too handle).

  • Now add salt, chili powder, jeera, sesame seeds, curry leaves, poha and mix well and keep it aside for 5min., till the poha absorbs the cucumber juice and becomes soft.(The mixture should not be soggy or runny, if so add little more poha/atukulu)

  • Place a polythene cover or silver foil on the table and take little portions of the above mixture and flatten them with your fingers and put them on the foil, once you are done with them, take them and put them in a sunny place for 2 days.

  • Once they are dried properly, store them in an air tight container.

Heat required oil for deep frying, the oil should not be too hot, once the oil reaches moderate temperature drop these yadiyalu/fryums, fry them til light golden brown color, they should not be fried til deep brown color because they give burnt smell. Enjoy them as side for dal curries.

8 yummies:

Unknown said...

Hey,

Healthy and innovative fryyums...:)Do stop by my blog wen you find time!!:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

Hari Chandana P said...

Wowww.. I love this vadiyalu recipe a lot.. looks absolutely amazing.. thanks for sharing dear !!
Indian Cuisine

Nisha said...

That sounds quick and easy . i'm going to try this summer.

Unknown said...

Very unique and interesting. I am a fan of any type of odiyalu :)

divya said...

Wowwww... sounds delicious and tempting.. thanks for the awesome recipe.. :)

Madhu said...

Awesome recipe Prasu. I love dosakaya. Its a shame we dont get this here as often as I would have liked it.

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Prasu
How are you? I am not getting your blog posting intimation , I think.
So I must keep watch by visiting your blog. This is a very new recipe for me, and I will try soon.
Let me see the latest posting.
Have a nice week ahead

Ushnish Ghosh said...

Dear Prasu
Today I went to market for yellow cucumber..but could not get it. One friend from Andhra told me , it wont be available in Delhi, it is a product of South and mainly Andhra , How disappointing ...
Have a nice day

Related Posts with Thumbnails